Joseph Mallord William Turner

Edinburgh, from the Water of Leith

1818

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 112 x 186 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D13691
Turner Bequest CLXVII 59 a

Catalogue entry

Following his sketch of Edinburgh from near Dean Cemetery (folio 62, D13690; CLXVII 59), Turner continued east along the Water of Leith, making this double-page sketch in the northern suburbs of the city. The present page shows the eastern half of the city from Calton Hill almost up to the castle. Part of Arthur’s Seat is depicted at the extreme left of the page, with Calton Hill to its right, upon which stands the tower of Nelson’s Monument, and next to it, the City Observatory. To the right of the hill is the Old Town with its rows of Georgian houses. In the foreground is a field, apparently called ‘Blinchy Ground’, where an inscription tells us ‘women [are] gathering [?]turnips & [?]carting [them] away’. Two further indecipherable inscriptions at the left may describe a wall made of [?]’Brick’ and ‘S[tone]’ and the flora behind it. The Water of Leith itself is visible on folio 63 (D13692; CLXVII 60), where Edinburgh Castle and St George’s Church can also be seen.

Thomas Ardill
March 2008

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like