Here Turner shows Koblenz’s fortress of Ehrenbreitstein at left, shaded with burnt umber and terracotta gouache. To the right, marked out in a line of blurred black daubs, is a pontoon bridge which is the central feature of Turner Bequest CCLIX 239. The domed Church of the Holy Cross is at centre, faintly suggested in milky white gouache.
Holy Cross Church and the fortress are shown in a detailed pencil study in the Waterloo and Rhine sketchbook of 1817 (Tate D12803; Turner Bequest CLX 53).
Powell 1991, p.150 no.82.
Inscribed in red ink, possibly by Ruskin, ‘?1124’ (inverted) at top right; inscribed in pencil ‘CCLIX–268’ twice, at top left and bottom right
- River Rhine(674)