Joseph Mallord William Turner

Inscription by Turner: A List of Names and Commissioned Subjects

c.1797

Not on display
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Dimensions
None
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D41412

Catalogue entry

This pastedown is inscribed by Turner in pencil at the top left:
Mr Lacells       Harwood Castle  L
Mr Lacelles – Harwood Castle  L
Mr Munden Holy Island – L
Mr Lambirt    Holy Island S
Mr Kershaw   Harwood Castle S
Mr Lambirt   Ambleside Mill L
Hon Mr Lacelles Kirkstall –    L
Mr Howlett   Boston Church VS
Mr Howlett   Louth Church    VS
Turner’s patrons at Harewood were Edward Lascelles senior (1740–1820) and, more particularly, his eldest son, also Edward (1764–1814). The father had been created Lord Harewood in 1796, having inherited Harewood House and its large Yorkshire estates between Leeds and Harrogate the previous year. Edward Junior, who became Viscount Lascelles when his father was created Earl of Harewood in 1812, was taught watercolour painting by Turner and proved a capable pupil. He also collected contemporary painting, especially watercolours, and acquired Turner’s St Erasmus in Bishop Islip’s Chapel, Westminster Abbey (British Museum, London)1 in 1797. As this list of commissions shows, he quickly followed up the purchase with commissions for several views on the Harewood estate; see Tate D02379, D02385–D02392, D17202 (Turner Bequest LI L, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, CXCVII L), for further drawings made at Harewood.
At the top right, the sketchbook’s original schedule number is endorsed by the executors of the Turner Bequest, George Jones, Charles Lock Eastlake and John Prescott Knight, ‘No 178. | George Jones’, initialled in pencil ‘C.L.E.’ and ‘JPK’ below. See also the descriptive note by John Ruskin pasted onto the recto of the unaccessioned flyleaf opposite, transcribed in the sketchbook’s Introduction.

Andrew Wilton
January 2013

1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.314 no.138, reproduced.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like