Not on display
The page contains a rough sketch, drawn horizontally, of a castle on a hill, overlooking a town whose church tower is visible on the left. Finberg noted it simply as ‘Ruined castle’,1 but art historian Ian Warrell states2 that this drawing (as well as folio 40 recto; D23777) was the preliminary sketch for Turner’s watercolour, Lillebonne, The Château from above the Roman Amphitheatre, c.1832 (Tate D24676; Turner Bequest CCLIX 111),3 which was engraved for Turner’s Annual Tour – Wanderings by the Seine, 1834 (Tate impression: T04703), although the church is not depicted in the watercolour. The Lillebonne location has also been confirmed elsewhere.4
Although conveyed in only in a few simple lines, the shapes and positions of the castle buildings and church tower make them identifiable as Lillebonne castle and the Church of Notre-Dame, Lillebonne. (For information on the castle, see under folio 29 recto, D23754; and for the church, under folio 28 recto; D23752.) The darker pencil strokes of some of the trees at left may be indicative of Turner’s extra efforts to capture their particular shape, or accidental.