This sketch is one of several views of Linlithgow Palace and St Michael’s Church from the west (for references see folio 44 verso; D13658; CLXVII 42a). In the foreground is a stream that flows into Linlithgow Loch, with a small arched bridge across it (see folio 50 verso; D13670; CLXVII 48a). Behind the bridge runs a ‘road’ where a figure is driving cattle, and beyond them is the loch.
Turner’s inclusion of cattle in the scene introduces a pastoral theme to his depiction of Linlithgow, which is enhanced by the composition’s foregrounding of the water and trees, over the palace and church, which are relegated to the top-right corner. Turner developed this theme is his watercolour design of Linlithgow Palace, 1821 (Manchester City Galleries) for the Provincial Antiquities, which includes cows grazing in the foreground, with the Palace and church seen beyond the loch.1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.426 no.1068.
- Lothian, West(70)