Not on display
The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Looking along the right-hand side of the Canale di S. Marco, commencing at the Ducal Palace and Piazzetta’): ‘on the right. The Royal Palace in the middle Capitaneria di Posta to l’.1
Inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, the view is north from the Bacino with the Doge’s Palace at the right, and the Piazzetta, the campanile of St Mark’s, Biblioteca Marciana (Libreria Sansoviniana) and the Zecca (the mint) running westwards, with the less conspicuous campanile of San Moisè away beyond the waterfront to the north-west.
The drawing is actually the mid-section of a three-page panorama, albeit which is effectively impossible to view all at once. It continues on folios 56 verso and 58 verso (D14422, D14426),2 looking to north to the rest of the Doge’s Palace and the Riva degli Schiavoni to its east, and to the west with Santa Maria della Salute respectively. Turner would have had to roll or almost fold back each page successively so that its outer edge would meet the preceding gutter, where the architecture matches precisely in each case.
For other drawings made in the vicinity and an overview of Turner’s coverage of Venice, see the sketchbook’s Introduction.
- bell tower(182)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)