This sketch incorporates a panoramic view from a high vantage point to the north of the Roman Forum, looking south-east across towards the Caelian and Palatine Hills. Thomas Ashby identified Turner’s location as the summit of the Church of Santi Cosma e Damiano.1 The visible landmarks on this side include (from left to right): part of the roof of the ruined Basilica of Constantine and Maxentius; the bell-tower of Santa Francesca Romana; the Church of Santi Giovanni e Paolo on the Caelian Hill; the Arch of Titus; and on the far right-hand side, part of the basilica Church of San Sebastiano al Palatino, on the Palatine Hill. The composition continues on the opposite sheet of the double-page spread, see folio 71 (D16284; Turner Bequest CLXXXVIII 70) and further sketches completing the circle of vision from this viewpoint can be found on folios 71 verso–74 (D16285–D16290; Turner Bequest CLXXXVIII 70a–73). For a general discussion for the vogue for urban panoramic views see folio 75 verso (D16293; Turner Bequest CLXXXVIII 74a).
Ashby 1914, p.218.
- bell tower(182)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)