Carlton House appears in a large watercolour diagram which accompanied Turner’s first perspective lecture at the Royal Academy in January 1811 (see the Introduction to the sketchbook), showing the whole of the north front with rusticated wings and a colonnaded screen and gateways in front, in which Turner combined a scale elevation with naturalistic shading (Tate D17119; Turner Bequest CXCV 148).1 There are further studies on folios 15 verso, 16 recto, 49 verso–50 recto (D07983, D07984, D08023, D08024) and possibly 39 recto (D08011). For the history of the building, see under folio 15 verso (D07983).
The north façade and screen are carefully recorded in a watercolour of about 1811 by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd and in anonymous engravings published by Ackermann in 1809 and by Laurie and Whittle in 1813 (London Metropolitan Archives). All show the elaborate bronze lamps standing between the coupled columns as noted here by Turner but not included in the finished lecture diagram.
Ibid., pp.31, 33.