This slight sketch is a prospect of the sister towns of Sankt Goar and Sankt Goarshausen which lie on opposite banks of the Rhine to each other. The spire of the evangelical collegiate church at Sankt Goar can be seen at left. Both towns are presided over by Burg Rheinfels and Burg Katz respectively. The castles were built by the Counts of Katzenelnbogen to protect their territories, the Rheinfels slightly earlier than the Katz in 1245, on the site of an older fortification.1
Rheinfels and Katz are depicted elsewhere in this sketchbook on Tate D28455–D28457, D28507, D28509, D28510; Turner Bequest CCXC 53–54, 79a, 79c, 79d. Turner recorded the castle extensively in the Rhine sketchbook of 1817 (Tate D12918–D12923, D12930–D12932, D12935–D12937, D12952–D19260; Turner Bequest CLXI 21a–24, 26–27a, 29–30, 37a–42). See also the 1841 colour sketch (private collection).2
‘History of the Castle’, St Goar, http://www
.st, accessed 23 July 2013. -goar .de /734 -1 -geschichte -burg -rheinfels -1 .html
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.459 no.1327.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- River Rhine(674)