Not on display
The subject of this study is the Fontana di Santa Lucia in Naples.1 One of a number of monumental public fountains found within the city, it was built during the early seventeenth century and formerly stood on the quayside in the Santa Lucia district of Naples on present-day Via Cesario Console. In 1895 it was moved to its present position in the Villa Comunale (the park on the Chiaia waterfront formerly known as the Villa Reale). Turner’s sketch depicts the fountain with a view of Vesuvius in the background. The artist has delineated the decorative Baroque detail on one half of the structure, assuming that the remaining half represents a mirror image. Beneath the basin, a couple of street traders are selling their wares. For further sketches of the Santa Lucia waterfront see folios 75 verso–76 (D16054–D16055; Turner Bequest CLXXXVI 73a–74) and the Gandolfo to Naples sketchbook (Tate D15675, D15677–D15678; Turner Bequest CLXXXIV 58c, 59a–60).
In the top right-hand corner is a separate landscape sketch, the details of which are too rough to be identified.
For example see Leone Gasparini, Antiche Fontane di Napoli, Naples 1979, p.74, reproduced fig.60.