Not on display
There are three sketches of Castle Campbell on this page.1 At the top is a view of the Hall with its stone vaulted barrel ceiling. This view is identical to J. H. LeKeux’s engraving after R. W. Billings’s painting. which was published in The Baronial And Ecclesiastical Antiquities Of Scotland, 1848. The engraving helps to clarify the details of the sketch, with the fireplace at the left, a doorway on the wall to its right, and another doorway on the far wall at the right. Turner made a sketch of a similar looking room on folio 13 verso (D26728; CCLXXII 33), though that may in fact depict the smaller tower room.
The two sketches of the exterior of the castle below were both made from the west. The first is a rather rough drawing of the castle within its setting of hills, and beneath is a sketch of the stone archway at the knoll below the castle, called John Knox’s Pulpit. This sketch is inscribed ‘Campbell.’
For references to further sketches of the castle see folio 6 verso (D26688; CCLXXII 12).
Wallace-Hadrill and Carolan 1990, p.19.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)