This detailed architectural sketch of the Mar’s Work and Holy Rude Parish Church was made from just outside the gate to the Mar’s Work, the ruin of a sixteenth-century mansion in Stirling. Turner shows the façade in detail, paying particular attention to the coats of arms above and either side of the doorway. A note in Turner’s hand to the left of the entrance may read ‘angle’ and the artist inscribed numbers at several points on the sketch, perhaps indicating measurements in inches of different parts of the building. To the left of the Mar’s Work is the apse of Holy Rude Parish Church with the tower of the church seen behind the mansion ruins to the right. The tower is shown again in a separate sketch at the bottom of the page. At the bottom left is a rough sketch with the inscription ‘Cows’ which David Wallace-Hadrill and Janet Carolan have pointed out is likely to refer to the Cowane Hospital which is just to the south of the church.1
Turner drew a very similar view of the Mar’s Works with the church and Cowane’s Hospital in 1834 in the Stirling and Edinburgh sketchbook (Tate D26361; Turner Bequest CCLXIX 54).
For references to further sketches made at Stirling, see folio 13 (D16460).
Wallace-Hadrill and Carolan 1990, p.16.
- periods and styles(5,202)