Finberg listed this as one of 22 leaves from this sketchbook found ‘in a parcel labelled by Mr. Ruskin – “M. 16. Leaves of S. 229. Laid down.” They have been mounted on cartridge by Mr. Ruskin.’ Evidently, Ruskin isolated these drawings because they were pencil outlines, without the additions of chalk or gouache found elsewhere in the sketchbook.
Turner’s first sight of the Castle of Chillon in 1802 was across Lake Geneva from Villeneuve, after travelling north along the lower Rhône Valley from Martigny (see his drawing of St Maurice from the same sketchbook, D04571; Turner Bequest LXXIV 78). In this drawing the castle is on the left and Villeneuve on the right. For another drawing of the castle from the sketchbook see D04574; Turner Bequest LXXIV 81. Turner made a more panoramic treatment of this material during his tour with H.A.J. Munro of Novar in 1836 (see the Val d’Aosta sketchbook, Tate D29111; Turner Bequest CCXCIII 40a).