The Turner scholar C.F. Bell annotated Finberg’s 1909 Inventory entry (‘Ancona’): ‘from the ascent to the Cathedral’.1 The viewpoint appears to be along what is now the stretch of the Via Papa Giovanni XXIII descending north-west from the hairpin bend beside the church of Santi Pellegrino e Teresa south of the Cathedral of San Ciriaco, here looking west to the lighthouse which formerly stood towards the end of the pier on the north side of the harbour, with its beacon bisecting the skyline of the far side of the bay.
At the near end of the pier is the Arch of Trajan, with the less conspicuous Arco Clementino beyond. The harbour infrastructure has undergone significant development since, and the buildings in the middle distance do not survive; nor do those towards the foot of the hill in the foreground. There is a similar albeit slighter view, seemingly from higher up and nearer the church, on folio 82 recto (D14639; Turner Bequest CLXXVI 78).