Joseph Mallord William Turner

The Ruins of Dudley Priory with Dudley Castle Above


In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 120 × 203 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest CCXXXVIII 24

Catalogue entry

As part of unpublished Turner research informed by local knowledge, Dr Bernard Richards has identified the ruins as Dudley Priory;1 the keep of Dudley Castle stands above to the east-south-east. The Dudley College complex now stands between the two, although the scene is still recognisable.
There are two variant views, across the top of the page and at the bottom left, separated by pencil lines, and another on folio 23 verso opposite (D22017), which is continued here a little at the centre left. At the bottom right is the spire of St Thomas’s Church in the distance to the south, flanked by chimneys; the church can still be glimpsed through trees from the south-west side of Priory Park. For other views of Dudley see under folio 23 recto (D22016).
Finberg was incorrect in his suggestion that the subject was Ashby-de-la-Zouch Castle, for which see under folio 21 verso (D22012; Turner Bequest CCXXXVIII 21).

Matthew Imms
August 2013

Conversation with the author, 14 May 2013.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like

In the shop