Finberg listed this as one of 22 leaves from this sketchbook found ‘in a parcel labelled by Mr. Ruskin – “M. 16. Leaves of S. 229. Laid down.” They have been mounted on cartridge by Mr. Ruskin.’ Evidently, Ruskin isolated these drawings because they were pencil outlines, without the additions of chalk or gouache found elsewhere in the sketchbook.
Turner’s view is taken from near St Pierre below Villeneuve, overlooking the River Doire; the bridge is in the middle distance. The Château d’Argent stands on the mount on the left and below is the Church of St Roch. In the distance, mountains flank the Rhèmes and Grisanche valleys. The subject was recognised by David Hill, whose subsequent exhibition and publication showed drawings from Turner’s return to the area in 1836 and the watercolour (National Gallery of Ireland, Dublin)1 of a very similar view to the one Turner drew in 1802.
Hill 2000, pp.196–7 reproduced.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)