Sotheby’s have supported the following Tate Britain Commissions:
- Tate Britain Commission 2015: Christina Mackie
- Tate Britain Commission 2014: Phyllida Barlow
- Tate Britain Commission 2013: Simon Starling Phantom Ride
- Tate Britain Commission 2012: Patrick Keiller The Robinson Institute
- Tate Britain Commission 2010: Fiona Banner
- Tate Britain Commission 2009: Eva Rothschild
- Tate Britain Commission 2008: Martin Creed Work No. 850
Penelope Curtis, former Director of Tate Britain, said:
Sotheby’s help to make it possible for us to invite an artist to make new work specially for Tate Britain. In recent years Patrick Keiller and Simon Starling made projects which drew on the history of the collection, while last year Phyllida Barlow made 'dock', referring implicitly to our riverside site. Next year Christina Mackie will make new work which was loosely inspired by the pigments used by artists such as Turner and Whistler, and by the paintings which surround the Duveen galleries.
Cheyenne Westphal, Co-Head of Contemporary Art Worldwide, Sotheby’s, said:
Every year, the Tate Britain Commission provides an enormously important platform for British artists, bringing them into the global spotlight and allowing for a celebration of today’s extraordinarily vibrant British art scene. We have already provided support for this important commission for six years and are now thrilled to be able to announce our continued commitment to the commission in 2015.
Find out more about Sotheby’s