- Georg Baselitz born 1938
- Original title
- Wo ist der gelbe Milchkrug, Frau Vogel?
- Oil paint on canvas
- Support: 2504 x 2505 x 55 mm
- ARTIST ROOMS Tate and National Galleries of Scotland
- ARTIST ROOMS Acquired jointly with the National Galleries of Scotland through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
Like ‘ Volkstanz Marode’, this painting belongs to the series of works called ‘Streubilder’ (‘Scatter Paintings’) or ‘Ciao America’, that Baselitz painted in the first half of 1989. The work has the same all-over distribution of form (birds, in this case) and unifying background colour as ‘Volkstanz’. There is also a similar primitivist, expressionist brushwork and folkloric subject matter, that marks them both out as unapologetically European, as opposed to the (on the whole) cooler, conceptual approach of American artists at the time. Hence the title of some of Baselitz’s contemporary paintings, ‘Ciao America’.
Film and audio
Hugo Worthy, Exhibitions Officer for Contemporary Art, and James Hickford, Marketing Manager, talk us through the ARTIST ROOMS Georg Baselitz ...
- literature and fiction(3,198)
- emotions, concepts and ideas(16,625)