- Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, Bt 1833–1898
- Graphite on paper
- Support: 340 x 362 mm
- Bequeathed by J.R. Holliday 1927
Among the earliest churches to be decorated with stained glass produced by Morris, Marshall, Faulkner and Company was St Martin's-on-the-Hill, Scarborough (1861-2). The studies on this sheet are for the figure of the Virgin in the Annunciation used for the rose window at the west end of the church. The drapery study is almost identical to the corresponding detail in the final cartoon for the window, which is now in the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Burne-Jones originally began the Annunciation subject as a design for a painted tile.
Gallery label, July 1993