- Jeff Koons born 1955
- Object: 1190 x 745 x 580 mm
displayed: 1950 x 745 x 580 mm
- Tate / National Galleries of Scotland
- ARTIST ROOMS Acquired jointly with the National Galleries of Scotland through The d'Offay Donation with assistance from the National Heritage Memorial Fund and the Art Fund 2008
'Bourgeois Bust' was originally created for the 'Made in Heaven' exhibition, in which Jeff Koons explored the concept of love in relation to his own marriage to porn star Ilona Staller. Represented as a marble portrait bust, the couple are depicted within a traditional Baroque style that drew its inspiration from antique classical sculpture. With her plaited hair and string of pearls, Staller appears like Venus, the Greek goddess of love. Declaring sensationally "We’ve become God", their spiritual and physical union seemingly elevates the pair to a higher realm of idealised existence and ecstasy.
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,767)
- religion and belief(8,360)