- John Linnell 1792–1882
- Graphite, ink and watercolour on paper
- Support: 210 x 327 mm
- Purchased 1970
John Linnell 1792–1882
T01214 At Under River near Sevenoaks circa 1833
Pen and wash over pencil, 8¼ x 12¿ (21 x 32.7).
Watermarked ‘PINE SMITH & ALLNUTT 1816’.
Purchased at Sotheby’s (Gytha Trust) 1970.
Coll: ...; sold Hodgson’s, 2 June 1955 (271), bt. L.G.Duke, sold Sotheby’s, 21 May 1970 (97, repr.), bt. Agnew’s for the Tate Gallery.
Exh: Samuel Palmer and his circle, Arts Council tour 1956–7 (114); Samuel Palmer, John Linnell, Reigate 1963 (38).
Lit: Martin Hardie, Water-colour Painting in Britain, 11, 1967, repr. pl. 158.
Under River is a hamlet lying below River Hill, south of Sevenoaks and a few miles from Shoreham. Linnell first visited Palmer at Shoreham in the summer of 1828 but this drawing probably dates from 1833, being close in character to a drawing of ‘The Weald of Kent’ which bears that date (L.G.Duke sale, Sotheby’s 21 May 1970 (98, repr.)). These two drawings, and one in the collection of Mrs W.Spooner entitled ‘The Weald of Kent: View from Poll Hill’, bear some resemblance to Palmer’s Shoreham drawings of about 1828, a number of which were commissioned by Linnell. A drawing by Palmer of almost the same view as T01214 is in the Victoria and Albert Museum (E454-1953; repr. Geoffrey Grigson, English Drawing, 1955, pl. 116).
Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1970–1972, London 1972.