Not on display
- Richard Long born 1945
- Screenprint and lithograph on paper
- Image: 584 x 489 mm
frame: 624 x 525 x 12 mm
- Purchased 1973
Richard Long b.1945
P07082 Dartmoor Walks 1972
Inscribed ‘Richard Long 1972’ and ‘76/80’ t.r.
Silkscreen and offset lithography on white paper, printed in black, 23¿ x 19¾ (60 x 50).
Purchased from the Städtisches Museum Mönchengladbach (Grant-in-Aid) 1973.
The following information has been approved and edited by the artist.
The Dartmoor Walks print was made as a ‘Jahresgabe’ for the Museumsverein Mönchengladbach in an edition of 80 copies available to members only. It was the first (and only) print the artist made. He was approached with the idea by Dr Johannes Cladders, Director of the Stadtisches Museum Mönchengladbach, who made no stipulations (of size, colour, etc.) other than that the print should be ready for Christmas 1972. The artist thinks he probably worked on it during the early summer of 1972. He provided a drawing (collection Konrad Fischer, Düsseldorf) and the print was made from that.
The print records all the walks on Dartmoor Long made up to this time which are ritualised works of art. All the walks were made independently from each other and the print does not show the specific and different nature of each work; it is simply a record of their relative locations. The lines on the print correspond to the locations of the walks on a 1 in. 1 mile Ordnance Survey map of the area. The works referred to by the print are as follows (top to bottom):
1. ‘A Ten Mile Walk’ filming every half mile out and back. This was made in 1969 for the film Land Art produced by Videogalerie Gerry Schum with Westdeutsches Fernsehen.
2. ‘A Walk of Four Hours and Four Circles’, 1972. Collection Dr Herman J. Daled, Brussels.
3. ‘Untitled’, 1971, a work published in a mailer by Konrad Fischer in which Long walks the same distance a number of times, the time taken becoming progressively longer with each walk. Original: Collection Dr Hoch, Krefeld.
4. ‘A Hundred Mile Walk’, 1971–2 (T01720).
‘Untitled’, 1970. Collection Museum of Modern Art, New York. Five walks by night east-west with each walking time given to make a pattern of times. First exhibited at Information, Museum of Modern Art, New York, July–September 1970. 6/7. There are two works in one in this part of the print. In the first each line is walked for fifteen minutes to make a thirty minute walk. Thus the two works are complementary; the time between them is doubled on each line, though not necessarily the distance. The lines on the print indicate the thirty minute walks.
Published in The Tate Gallery Report 1972–1974, London 1975.