Not on display
- Sir William Nicholson 1872–1949
- Oil paint on wood
- Support: 406 x 584 mm
frame: 570 x 753 x 88 mm
- Purchased with assistance from the Knapping Fund 1940
N05084 NUDE c. 1921
Inscr. ‘Nicholson’ b.l. and ‘N.’ t.r. and, on back, ‘Nude. WN’.
Oil on panel, 16×23 (41×58·5).
Purchased from the artist through the Matthiesen Gallery (Knapping Fund) 1940.
Lit: Browse, 1956, p.81.
One of the artist's very few nudes; the model was the artist's second wife Edith, whom he married in 1919 and from whom he separated in the early 1930s (letters from Miss Lillian Browse, 17 July 1958, and Miss Marguerite Steen, 22 July 1958).
Mary Chamot, Dennis Farr and Martin Butlin, The Modern British Paintings, Drawings and Sculpture, London 1964, II
- named individuals(12,546)
- actions: processes and functions(2,184)
- individuals: female(1,706)