- Rirkrit Tiravanija born 1961
- Original title
- Untitled, 2005 (non-gab-din, kim-gab-sai)
- Contractor's shed, 4 gascookers, Perspex, metal, wood, plastic, rubber, paper, food and other materials
- Overall display dimensions variable
- Purchased with assistance from Tate International Council 2009
Tiravanija’s work often involves setting up situations in which visitors are encouraged to take part. The remains of one such participatory performance are evident here. The artist made pad thai, a classic Thai dish as cooked by his grandmother, serving it from this disused contractor’s shed. Transferred to the museum or gallery context the work raises questions about the value and use of a work of art and the structures within which it is shown.
Gallery label, April 2012
Does this text contain inaccurate information or language that you feel we should improve or change? We would like to hear from you.