The composition, inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, continues across folio 25 recto opposite (D01166; Turner Bequest XXXVII 49). The church here, which appears to be of eighteenth-century design, may be St Mary’s Lewisham, Kent, now a suburb of south-east London. It was designed by J. Gibson and built 1774–7. Finberg proposed that the church is St Luke’s, Charlton, a brick building of about 1630 on the brow of a steep hill above the Thames, north of Lewisham. The topography of the drawing does not seem to correspond convincingly to this identification.