On the left is a small warship, moored and bedecked with bunting or signal flags. Towards the outer edge with the page turned vertically, are two coastal profiles. The top one roughly indicates East Cowes Castle on the skyline beyond shipping, while the lower seems to have been made from a similar viewpoint looking south from the mouth of the River Medina, showing Cowes and its castle; together, the two form a panorama comparable with that in the painting East Cowes Castle, the Seat of J. Nash, Esq.; the Regatta Starting for their Moorings, exhibited in at the Royal Academy in 1828 (Victoria and Albert Museum, London).1
Martin Butlin and Evelyn Joll, The Paintings of J.M.W. Turner, revised ed., New Haven and London 1984, pp.150–1 no.243, pl.247 (colour).