This sketch of Aske Hall near Richmond is taken from the south, near the Gilling road gates, and formed the basis of a studio watercolour of Aske Hall (private collection)1 engraved in Thomas Dunham Whitaker’s History of Richmondshire, part of the projected seven-volume General History of the County of York (see Introduction to the sketchbook), and published in 1821.
Aske Hall is about a mile north of Richmond. Originally a pele tower from the late fifteenth century it was extensively rebuilt and extended in the eighteenth century. Now a private house, it is occasionally open to the public.
Andrew Wilton, The Life and Work of J.M.W. Turner, Fribourg 1979, p.364 no.562.