The small town of Atrani lies within a bay below the steep mountainous cliffs of the Amalfi coast immediately east of Amalfi itself. This sketch depicts a view of Atrani from the west, on the coastal road to Amalfi. The distinctive bell-tower rising above the spiral coastal substructures to the right of the composition is the thirteenth-century Church of Santa Maria Maddalena.1 Related views can be seen on folios 35, 52 verso–54 and 56–57 (D15803, D15834–D15837 and D15841–D15843). Compare also an earlier watercolour by John ‘Warwick’ Smith (1749–1834), Otrano, Bay of Salerno 1778–9 (Tate, T08507).
The church now possesses two domes added during the early twentieth century.