This view, rendered in faint, summary pencil line and highlighted in chalk, shows the Moselle town of Bernkastel and the Burg Landshut overlooking it from atop a cliff. The Gothic Church of St Michael, celebrated for its turreted spire, can be seen at left. This drawing and others in the 1824 sketchbooks are related to a highly finished watercolour of the town and its castle produced in around 1830; see Tate D19757–D19760, D20176–D20177, D20179–D20180, D20182; Turner Bequest CCXVI 104a–106, CCXIX 15–16, 18–19, 21.1
Andrew Wilton, J.M.W. Turner: His Life and Work, Fribourg 1979, p.465 no.1378; reproduced in colour in Powell 1995, p.108.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,653)
- River Mosel(336)