Not on display
The castle is seen to the north-north-west from the north bank of the River Tyne east of Bywell’s two churches, with the river flowing away on the right to the bend below the castle, where it turns north-eastwards towards Prudhoe. Today the bank is wooded, obscuring this view. There is a similar sketch from a little to the west on folio 87 verso (D12436). A sequence of studies of Bywell runs between the present page and folio 81 verso (D12424); for the history of the castle and bridge, see the entry for the latter.
There is an ink wash study of this side of the castle among Northumberland views made in about 1778 by Samuel Hieronymus Grimm (British Library, London, Additional MS 15543).1
‘Bywell Castle’, British Library Online Gallery, accessed 10 February 2010, http://www
.bl. .uk /onlinegallery /onlineex /grimms /countcast /bywellcast /bywellcast /005add000015543u00004000 .html
- River Tyne(36)