Not on display
This is a slightly closer view of the castle than that on folio 24 recto (D00431), taken from Clatterford. Finberg suggests1 that the distant tower is that of Newport Church, but as Dearden notes it is in fact the ‘truly monumental’2 Perpendicular tower of St Mary’s, Carisbrooke. Turner used the study as the basis for a pupil’s copy drawing (Tate D00881; Turner Bequest XXXIII J). He later executed a close paraphrase of the subject on a sheet watermarked 1807 (Tate D08274; Turner Bequest CXXI R).3
The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally.
A piece torn from the outer edge of the page at the bottom left has been made up.
Blank; stamped in brown ink with Turner Bequest monogram