Joseph Mallord William Turner

Castel Nuovo, Naples, with the Mole Lighthouse

1819

In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 122 × 197 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D15671
Turner Bequest CLXXXIV 57 a

Catalogue entry

As Cecilia Powell first identified, the subject of this sketch is the Castel Nuovo, a large fortress also known as the Maschio Angioino, which stands beside the quayside near the main port in Naples.1 Originally dating from the thirteenth century, the castle with its five cylindrical towers has been extended and rebuilt a number of times. This study depicts the northern side from present-day Piazza Municipio, with the Torre di Beverello on the left and the Torre di San Giorgio and Torre di Mezzo on the right. The campanile rising above the walls of the fortress in the centre is no longer extant. Visible in the distance on the far left-hand side is the lighthouse on the Mole in the old port.
Further studies of the Castel Nuovo can be seen on folios 59, 64 verso–65 verso and 69 verso (D15670, D15683–D15685 and D15693; Turner Bequest CLXXXIV 57, 62a–63a and 67a).

Nicola Moorby
May 2010

1
Powell 1984, p.424.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like