Not on display
The Castel Nuovo is a large fortress also known as the Maschio Angioino, which stands beside the quayside near the main port in Naples. Originally dating from the thirteenth century, the castle with its five cylindrical towers has been extended and rebuilt a number of times. This sketch depicts a view of the western side of the building with four of the five towers visible.1 The campanile which rises above the main entry point, the Arco di Trionfo, is no longer extant, and neither are the lower walls surrounding the castle complex. Rising in the background is the unmistakable silhouette of Vesuvius and Monte Somma.
Finberg incorrectly suggested that the sketch showed another of Naples’s castles, the Castel Capuano, Finberg 1909, p.545.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)