Joseph Mallord William Turner

Castel Sant’Elmo and the Certosa di San Martino, Seen from the Old Port of Naples

1819

Not on display

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 113 × 189 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D15951
Turner Bequest CLXXXVI 21 a

Catalogue entry

During his sojourn in Naples, Turner made a large number of sketches in and around the old port and quayside. This view depicts boats and shipping within a small harbour which could be found between the Church of Santa Maria di Portosalvo and the Immacolatella, the eighteenth-century quarantine station which still stands on the waterfront near present-day Molo Immacolatella Vecchia.1 Rising beyond is the hill topped by the Certosa (Charterhouse) of San Martino and the Castel Sant’Elmo. A variant view of the harbour with the nearby Castel Nuovo can be seen on folio 21 verso (D15949; Turner Bequest CLXXXVI 20a). The area was transformed during the extensive urban restructuring of the late nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

Nicola Moorby
July 2010

1
In certain eighteenth-century topographical engravings the building is known as the Palazzo della Deputazio.

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like