At the top the main view, inverted relative to the sketchbook’s foliation, shows Chester down the River Dee looking west from the vicinity of Queen’s Park. The tall tower on the right is that of St John the Baptist’s Church, which collapsed in 1881.1 The Old Dee Bridge is in the distance with the silhouette of the castle above; a pedestrian suspension bridge now crosses below St John’s. The vista is continued a little to the right on folio 58 verso (D22258).
At the bottom right the whole view is reprised on a smaller scale, framed by pencil lines, while at the outer edge appears to be a detail around the north end of the Old Dee Bridge, made with the page turned vertically. For other views of Chester, see under folio 14 verso (D22176).