The subject, a rather hesitantly drawn, two-arched stone bridge seen from a riverbank with wooded ground rising beyond, is possibly the old crossing over the River Teign west of Chudleigh. This is by comparison with a 1794 watercolour of the bridge with Chudleigh Rocks beyond by the Rev. John Swete; the bridge was scheduled for demolition in late 1814, and replaced by a single-span structure.1 Later trees obscure the view to the rocks, and the proposed identification is largely prompted by the proximity of Chudleigh subjects on folios 2 recto, 3 recto and 4 recto (D09483–D09485).
There may be a coach and horses on the bridge.
See reproduction of the watercolour and photograph of the new bridge at ‘Parish Bridges’, Chudleigh History Group, accessed 30 May 2014, http://www
.chudleighhistorygroup. .com /toll -houses .html
A dark mark at the top left matches one on the opposite page (the verso of D09485; CXXXII 4).