This is a slight sketch, one of four showing Cliviger Gorge near T.D. Whitaker’s house, The Holme, whose roof is probably that visible among trees at the left. The viewpoint is a knoll in the village of Holme Chapel, probably close to the parish church of St John the Divine, which Whitaker had built on the site of an earlier chapel in 1788–94; the pillar in the left foreground may be either a gate-post or a monument in the churchyard.
Turner is looking south-east, and has included both sides of the Gorge: the high western cliffs to the right and the loosely heaped, lower hills to the east (on the left of the drawing). His other drawings of the Gorge are on the versos of folios 37, 38 and 40 (D01972, D01974, D01978). Turner’s view of The Holme itself is on folios 14 verso–15 recto (D01928–D01929).