after Joseph Mallord William Turner

Confluence of the Seine and Marne


In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
After Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Line engraving on paper
Image: 99 × 137 mm
Purchased 1986

Catalogue entry

[from] Turner's Annual Tour, 1835: Wanderings by the Seine pub.1835 [T04708-T04726; complete]

Nineteen line-engravings by various engravers, comprising nineteen subjects out of a total of twenty; various sizes; all bearing Turner studio blind stamp
Purchased (Grant-in-Aid) 1986
Prov: Artist's sale, Christie's 23–5 April 1873; ...; N.W. Lott and H.J. Gerrish Ltd, from whom bt by Tate Gallery
Lit: Leitch Ritchie, Turner's Annual Tour: Wanderings by the Seine, 1835; The Rivers of France, 1837 (reprinted with an introduction by Eric Shanes, 1990); Leitch Ritchie, Liber Fluviorum: With a Biographical Sketch by Alaric A. Watts, 1853; M.B. Huish, The Seine and the Loire, 1895; Turner en France, exh. cat., Centre culturel du Marais, Paris 1981

For a discussion of this project, see under T04678-T04697 above. The 1835 volume of Turner's Annual Tour was entitled Wanderings by the Seine from Rouen to the Source. It was also published in London by Longmans as well as by Rittner and Goupil in Paris and A. Asher in Berlin. The volume was dedicated by Charles Heath and A. Asher to ‘Her Royal Highness, The Princess Royal of Prussia’.

The engravers responsible for the plates in this group were John Cousen (1804–80), John Smith (c.1798-?), James Tibbetts Willmore (1800–63), William Radclyffe (1783–1855), J. Radclyffe (active 1835), James Baylis Allen (1803–76), Samuel Fisher (active 1830–55), William Miller (1796–1882), Thomas Jeavons (c.1800–67), Thomas Higham (1796–1844) and James Charles Armytage (1802–97).

T04724 Confluence of the Seine and the Marne engr. J.C. Armytage, pub.1835

Line-engraving 99 × 137 (3 7/8 × 5 3/8) on India paper laid on wove paper 300 × 436 (11 13/16 × 17 3/16); plate-mark 153 × 228 (6 × 8 15/16)
Engraved inscriptions as for T04709 but with engraver's name given as ‘J.C.Armytage.’
Lit: Rawlinson 11 1913, no.490, first published state

Published: p.212. Original watercolour: private collection (Wilton 1979, no.988).

Published in:
Tate Gallery: Illustrated Catalogue of Acquisitions 1986-88, London 1996

You might like

In the shop