The view is from below East Hill, glimpsed on the left, looking south, with the tower of St Edward’s Church just visible in the village, otherwise hidden behind the castle’s mound. A similar viewpoint today is from across the level crossing on the Norden to Swanage railway line, behind the National Trust visitor centre and the valley of the Corfe River. The line cuts into the lower slope of East Hill, and it is difficult to judge Turner’s exact position.
Almost the whole sheet is very yellowed from prolonged display in the Third Loan Collection,1 with a sharp edge to the discolouration all round where the edges were protected by a slightly skewed mount.
See Warrell 1991, pp.46 (venues), 49 no.17 (the present work, as one of those ‘probably introduced as replacement items between 1904 and 1909’).