This page contains two sketches made in the grounds of Craignethan Castle in Lanarkshire. The larger sketch at the centre of the page depicts the tower house as seen from the south-west. The building outlined to the left is therefore the ruined tower on the corner of the inner courtyard. Beneath is a sketch of the Covenanter’s House, built for the owner Andrew Hay in 1665. It is shown here from the south-east.
For further information about Turner’s visit to Craignethan Castle, see folio 14 verso (D26286).