Inverted in relation to the sketchbook as foliated, the apparently continuous sketch at the top of this page depicts Creux on the south-east coast of Sark where a small summer harbour had been established. In the centre of the scene, Turner reminded himself with a note of the position of the harbour pier. The centre and left-hand side of the page are dominated by the ‘almost perpendicular cliffs which overhang and surround’ this ‘romantic spot’.1 At the base of this large formation, towards the bottom left-hand corner, can be glimpsed the opening of a small tunnel, indicated by a small semi-circular mark which gave access to the island’s higher ground. To the right-hand side is featured the tower-like rocky outcrop which, as outlined in the entry for folio 66 recto (D23645; Turner Bequest CCLII 66), Turner seems to have termed the Sphinx’s Head. This tiny bay constitutes one of the volume’s major preoccupations; for a list of these drawings, see the entry for folio 58 recto (D23629; Turner Bequest CCLII 58).
The smaller sketch of a sail-boat before high cliffs is a continuation of a scene on folio 66 verso opposite (D23646; Turner Bequest CCLII 66a).
J.T. Cochrane, A Guide to the Island of Guernsey, St Peter Port 1826, p.139.