- After Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
- Engraving on paper
- Transferred from the British Museum 1988
This view shows the dockyard at Devonport on the south coast of Devon. Turner uses the local scenery and weather effects artfully to comment on the broader theme of historical change. The withdrawal of storm-clouds to reveal calm symbolises the passing of war and the emergence of peace. This idea is emphasised by the depiction of old war ships being docked and put to peacetime use on the right of the scene.
Gallery label, February 2004
Does this text contain inaccurate information or language that you feel we should improve or change? We would like to hear from you.
- emotions, concepts and ideas(15,766)
- leisure and pastimes(7,581)
- work and occupations(14,300)
- symbols & personifications(7,227)