This page depicts the eastern side of the castle at Dieppe as seen from the long stretch gravel beach that runs east back to the port. The bulk of the medieval structure, with its turrets and high walls, shades into lighter shades of brown as it ascends the chalk cliffs to the right-hand side.1 Detail and incident have been lightly dabbed in with the tip of the brush including dark brown dots to capture small shadows in the castle’s battlements. A loose collection of grey ‘wet-on-wet’ strokes towards the bottom right depict a fishing boat; evidence of the town’s industrial mainstay.2 By way of a contrast to this workaday coastal object, the town’s elegant Bathing Establishment, or ‘Casino’, can be seen at the base of the chalk cliffs, albeit with its fanciful architecture truncated to a pair of small ochre box-like objects.3
For reasons set out in the Technical notes in the sketchbook Introduction, this work appears inverted in relation to the volume as foliated.
For the castle’s history, see Claude Féron, Dieppe, Paris 1981, pp.22–3.
John Murray (ed.), Hand-Book for Travellers in France, revised ed., London, Paris and Leipzig 1844, p.23.
For a description of this structure, see Simonia Pakenham, Sixty Miles from England: The English at Dieppe, 1814–1914, London 1967, p.18.
Blank; except for patches of grey and brown watercolour transferred from folio 7 recto opposite (D35466; Turner Bequest CCCLX 8).