Not on display
This slight and swiftly executed sketch shows the harbour of Dieppe. It is one of the principal preparatory drawings for Turner’s oil painting Harbour of Dieppe (Changement de Domicile), exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1825 (Frick Collection, New York).1 Among the buildings recorded here and translated into the final painting is the Church of Saint-Jacques, the dome and tower of which is rendered in profile in the distance at centre. For other views of the city in this sketchbook see Tate D19959, D19966, D19968–D19977, D19979–D20014, D20031–D20033; Turner Bequest CCXVI 205, 209a, 211–216a, 217a–236, 244a–245a.
Butlin and Joll 1984, p.141 no.231.