Joseph Mallord William Turner

Distant View of the Head of Loch Awe, with Kilchurn Castle from the South-West


In Tate Britain

Prints and Drawings Room

View by appointment
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Graphite on paper
Support: 114 × 184 mm
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Turner Bequest LVI 51

Catalogue entry

The drawing was made with the page turned horizontally. Turner’s apparent difficulty in spelling ‘Kilchurn’ here is hardly surprising: the name is pronounced ‘Kiloorn’. This is the first of a sequence of drawings of the castle and its environs that continues to folio 66 recto (D03038; Turner Bequest LVI 64).
The castle was built in about 1440 by Margaret, wife of Sir Colin Campbell, 1st Laird of Glenurquhay (Glenorchy), and saw action in the English Civil War of the seventeenth century, but had become largely ruinous by the mid-eighteenth century. The Campbell family built numerous castles in the Highlands, among them Dochart (see folios 75 verso–76 recto; D03057–D03058; Turner Bequest LVI 73a–74) and Taymouth (see folios 93 verso–98 recto; D03092–D03101; Turner Bequest LVI 91a–96). Inveraray (see folios 42 verso–43 recto; D02993–D02994; Turner Bequest LVI 40a–41) is the seat of the senior Campbell, the Duke of Argyll.

Andrew Wilton
May 2013

Read full Catalogue entry


You might like

In the shop