This is a view of Dresden, capital of Saxony, taken from the formal gardens of the Japanese Palace. The baroque building, which can be seen at left, was constructed from 1717 to store the imperial collection of Japanese porcelain.1 Beyond the palace is the Frauenkirche at centre, and over the Augustus Bridge the Hofkirche, once church of the royal court of Saxony and now Dresden Cathedral. Turner has inscribed the numbers ‘3 4, 3’ over the bays of the Japanese Palace and ‘3’ by one of the towers of the Hofkirche.
‘Japanisches Palais’, Staatliche Kunstsammlungen Dresden, accessed 03 September 2015, http://www
.skd .museum /en /museums -institutions /japanisches -palais
- garden structures(1,940)
- townscapes / man-made features(21,691)
- townscape, distant(8,119)
- River Elbe(65)