Ian Warrell has indentified this and as one of two views of Eu in the sketchbook taken from a high hill north-east of the town;1 see also D35448 (Turner Bequest CCCLIX 13). A rather complex application of ochre, blue, ruddy brown, and pink washes describes the town in the midst of the Bresle valley with the sea beyond, as indicated by a line of azure blue towards the upper register. Particularly prominent is the pink and blue bulk of the medieval collégiale, or ‘collegiate church’ of Notre-Dame and St-Laurent.2 To the left, connected to the larger edifice by a line of blue watercolour, is the lilac form of the seventeenth-century chapel of the Jesuit college.3
Warrell 1995, p.39.
For a contemporary description of the collegiate church, see John Murray (ed.), Hand-Book for Travellers in France, revised ed., London, Paris and Leipzig 1844, pp.66–7.
For a description of the Jesuit chapel, see also Richard Snailham, Normandy and Brittany: from Le Tréport to St-Nazaire, London c.1986, p.26.
The verso is not available for inspection as the sketch is attached to its mount.
- townscapes / man-made features(21,710)
- townscape, distant(8,119)