Exeter is seen from the vicinity of Pennsylvania Road, looking south with St Sidwell’s Church (bombed in 1942 and rebuilt in a modern style without a tower on Sidwell Street)1 towards the left and the low towers at the central crossing of Exeter Cathedral aligned towards the right, with the Exe Estuary and hills towards Newton Abbot beyond respectively. Exeter, from Pennsylvania, a vignette lithograph of about 1835 by George Rowe (Westcountry Studies Library, Exeter) shows the same view. The once rural prospect is now obscured by later development and rebuilding after bombing. There is a similar sketch, focusing on the buildings in a little more detail, on folio 66 recto opposite (D09756).
See David Cornforth, ‘St Sidwell’s Church, Sidwell Street’, Exeter Memories, accessed 17 November 2011, http://www
.exetermemories. .co .uk /em /_churches /st_sidwells .php