What Finberg understood as a ‘Harbour, with town, and castle on cliff’1 may rather show Folkestone’s harbour (see folio 5 verso; D35496) with what appear to be the piers of the new railway viaduct at Foord (see folio 6 recto; D35497) in the distance to the north-west towards the left, and separate local details above.
This subject, in relatively soft pencil, continues on folio 15 recto opposite (D35514), but it has been drawn over using a sharper line with a less coherent double-page sketch, with what seem to be buildings near the gutter here linked by lines arcing below to the jagged silhouette of a large building on the opposite page. This is apparently the church at Eu, as discussed under D35514.
The blank recto is inscribed by John Ruskin in red ink ‘14’ and stamped in black ‘CCCLXI – 14’ at the bottom right; it bears very slight pencil strokes at the top left, carried over from the drawing on folio 13 verso opposite (D35510; Turner Bequest CCCLXI 13). For numerous instances of blank, unaccessioned rectos in this sketchbook, see the technical notes in the Introduction.
Finberg 1909, II, p.1171.
There is some brown staining at the gutter, possibly indicating water damage in the 1928 Tate flood.