Joseph Mallord William Turner

Fort Augustus from Loch Ness

1831

Not on display

Artist
Joseph Mallord William Turner 1775–1851
Medium
Graphite on paper
Dimensions
Support: 150 x 180 mm
Collection
Tate
Acquisition
Accepted by the nation as part of the Turner Bequest 1856
Reference
D26994
Turner Bequest CCLXXVI 17

Catalogue entry

This view of Fort Augustus was made from the southern end of Loch Ness as Turner continued his journey up the Caledonian Canal and the lochs it connects towards Inverness. From the north of the town we look along the River Oich to the old stone-arched bridge. To the left is Inveroich House, and the Caledonian Canal behind it runs parallel to the river. Behind this is the old fort, after which the village is named. In the distance at the left are the mountains to the east of Glen Mor with the Loch Lochy Hills to the right. The view to the right continues in the sketch beneath. At the top and bottom of the pages are sketches of the rooftops of Fort Augustus.
There is a very similar view of Fort Augustus on the reverse of this page (folio 17 verso; D26995), though drawn in less detail. For references to further sketches of the village see folio 18 (D26996).
The pencil has become slightly rubbed (perhaps a result of the 1928 flood at the Tate Gallery), leaving grey marks on the page, especially evident at the left and top of the page.

Thomas Ardill
April 2010

Read full Catalogue entry

You might like